Too many eye shadows, not enough eyelids

Sunday, March 30, 2014

 You walk into a store find one or two shades you love and by the time you leave you have a surplus of eye shadow in every color and texture on your face. In other words you went a little overboard. I've been there. More times than i would like to admit. When I was a freshman in high school I got my first eye shadow palette from urban decay. Ya know the one with midnight cowboy? Oh that midnight cowboy was my all time favorite shadow. I liked it so much in fact that I slapped it all over my eyes. Like, all over. When my dad would pick me up from school he would ask me if things got a little messy in art class... I wasn't even in art class. It was that bad, and that's because I was totally clueless when it came to eye shadow. Throughout my many years of "getting crazy in art class" (thanks dad) I learned a thing or two about wearing eye shadow properly and I'm excited to share them with you.

When choosing your eye shadow or shadows there are three things to keep in mind, texture, tone and what the shade is like (light, medium, dark).

Eye shadows come in three different textures
Matte- absorbs light, no shine
Shimmer or frost- reflects and draws attention
Shine or luster- dewy sheen


Shadows also come in different tones. Warm, cool or neutral tones. When I first learned about this I was super confused, but warm, cool and neutral simply means how much of a yellow/peach tint or blueish tint something has. A product with a yellow/peach tint to it would be considered warm and a product with a more cool hue to it would be considered cool. A mixture of both is, you guessed it, neutral!



Now last but not least lets talk about shades.
 Light- which draws attention, enhances and area and makes it look larger
Medium- which gives dimension and is for blending
Dark-  which adds depth and minimizes the area.
One way I was taught to remember this is light brings forward and dark push back.

So folks, that's what I've got to say about eye shadows. I hope you found the information helpful. Now get out there and take those sample shadows by storm and stay golden!

Follow my blog with Bloglovin

4 comments:

  1. Loved learning about this. Thanks Hailee.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is good to know…I feel like I never learned to put on make-up, and I just buy what the Mac people tell me! Great post! Love your new blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jamie I am so glad you enjoyed this post! If you have any questions or anything you'd like to read about let me know! Thanks for reading :)

      Delete